Introduction

Welcome to thoughts, musings, questions, and reflections around my passion - LEADING. Leading in ways that benefit you and benefit others.

Every person has a voice that can influence and impact the world in which they move and shake. My goal is to create greater awareness around the potential that voice has. Once aware, it's amazing what you can do.

As you develop and use your voice, your confidence grows. As your confidence grows, you step out and lead yourself, others, teams, and organizations in powerfully positive ways. And soon, yours is the attitude that others want to be around.

So, grab a cup of java and pull a chair up to my blog table. Let's trade dialogue and share a space of learning, growing, and contributing.




Sunday, February 19, 2012

Who Helps You Be Brave?

Are you brave? I'd like to think that I am, but then again I am certain without doubt that I could often be more brave. I am, for sure, impressed with the expressions of bravery that I see in young people around me.

Like when I see how our friend and former exchange student son, Marcos, is doing I know I am watching bravery. Marcos is from Brazil. He bravely left his home country to spend a year with us here in the Twin Cities. During that year he made countless friends and had many, many experiences. Now, nearly two years into his college career, he's made another brave move and hopped over to spend a semester in France. Marcos is my example of bravely reaching out to grab new adventures in life. He's a rich (in experience) man already in his young life.

And then there is my second cousin, Sally, she's brave, too. Sally has worked and lived in London for many years now. And while the move itself was brave, it was when Sally spent significant time back here that I learned how brave she really is. Sally was here for an extended time while her mum was ill. When her mum passed away, she did many brave things. As an only child, she managed the funeral preparations and offered a moving eulogy during the service. She graciously helped her father get household tasks organized. And perhaps most bravely of all, she went back to London where her life was.

I'm excited that our youngest daughter has bravely decided to put herself in the role of stay-at-home mom. Leaving her job and work friends was not an easy decision, but she did it. And I watch her bravely grabbing hold of her new role with energy and a sense of purpose that I did not possess when I was her age.

Our oldest daughter has made brave moves, too. Before slowing down to be a mom she jumped on a plane and jetted off to Australia to backpack around, all by herself. And because her dollars were few, she worked her way from spot to spot meeting new adventures all along the way. And she was brave a second time when she sold her house in the city to move to her hobby farm. Being in the country is where she knew she needed to be, it's who she is so she made it happen. I was not nearly so certain of where I needed to be at that point in life.

These young people are inspirations of bravery to me. Who might inspire you to be brave?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb, thank you very much for your kind words. I really appreciate everything you and John have done for me, and I will be forever thankful.
    I am brave, and you are a great example of that for me as well, both you and John are great inspirations in my life.

    ReplyDelete