Introduction

Welcome to thoughts, musings, questions, and reflections around my passion - LEADING. Leading in ways that benefit you and benefit others.

Every person has a voice that can influence and impact the world in which they move and shake. My goal is to create greater awareness around the potential that voice has. Once aware, it's amazing what you can do.

As you develop and use your voice, your confidence grows. As your confidence grows, you step out and lead yourself, others, teams, and organizations in powerfully positive ways. And soon, yours is the attitude that others want to be around.

So, grab a cup of java and pull a chair up to my blog table. Let's trade dialogue and share a space of learning, growing, and contributing.




Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Give Yourself a Brain Cramp

When was the last time you invited yourself to dip (or maybe dive) into something unfamiliar? Sometimes we give ourselves an unintended headache, but that's not where I'm going with this. I'm talking about intentionally sending yourself in a direction that you know will likely cramp your brain, but you go there anyway because you suspect it is going to be worthwhile and so ... you jump! Or, dip your toe. Maybe the difference between jumping and dipping is a reference to our desire for risk, but that's another blog topic.

Tonight I started an online class to expand my coaching technique. In particular, this coaching process engages the participant to use a variety of creative expression as a bridge to unlocking deeper insight. And while I consider myself creative in many ways, the avenue of artistic creative is not one I drive on. So at the same time, I felt both exhilarated and stymied.

During the course of this program, we will make use of art supplies and that sounds like fun. On the other hand, I don't want anyone looking at my art. Why? Because I'm certain it won't measure up. "Measure up to who?" I ask myself. Hmmm .... brain cramp!

The program facilitator asked us to close our eyes and imagine the phrase that had popped to our minds when he first started the call with us. We were to envision the words of the phrase as if painting them with a brush. "What does the phrase look like now?" he asked.

My phrase, which was in reference to what we thought we'd bring to our cohorts as we go through this learning process, was "joy in the journey." At the close of the call, as the facilitator posed the question, my paint brush swiped over the middle letters of the word "journey," and left only the first two letters JO and the last letter Y. And that reflected, for me, that I usually start the journey and end the journey with joy but recognize the middle of that journey might be pretty messy. Now, there's a brain cramp for you! But I'm diving in anyway, certain the learning will be very worthwhile.

Perhaps you had a brain cramp today, too? Please  -  do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment